Here are the best recommendations from my work as a Career Coach for women that you may find very helpful when you are in a career transition.
- Take time for yourself. It is time to ramp up the self-care during your life transition! Women are notorious for ignoring their own needs. The best way to support yourself as a woman in a life transition is to practice excellent self-care. This means caring for all aspects of your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual self. Give yourself adequate rest, relaxation, good food, proper exercise, meditation, and plenty of support from friends and/or a professional such as a Career Coach for women.
- Slow down. Even though life may be coming at you quickly, and demanding decisions, you will find that by slowing down just a bit, allowing yourself to be more mindful and present, taking time for a few deep breaths, living in the moment – you will make better decisions. There is no reason to rush into critical decisions that will impact the rest of your life, such as where best to live or work. Take your time and be gentle with your adjustment process that is natural to career transition.
- Self-acceptance and self-love. Women tend to be hard on themselves and expect themselves to know just what to do and how to fix any situation – perfectly. This just sets you up for feeling shame or fear about your process of finding your way. When things fall apart, it takes time to find your way again. It may look messy for a while as you try out a few ideas or walk around in the fog during a life transition. You can save yourself a lot of misery by understanding that you are exactly where you need to be, taking the actions you need to take in order to transition to the next part of your journey. Let it be messy because it will be whether you let it or not.
- Allow yourself to make mistakes by trying things out slowly. Don’t put everything at risk with each decision, such as moving cross country without living there for a while to see if it’s right for you. Try things out and don’t worry when it doesn’t work out as you hoped. This is how we learn! And you are in a major learning phase of life. As a Career Coach for women in transition, I have seen that the growth into self-acceptance is the most powerful process for starting over after divorce or loss, to create an authentic life you love.
- Stay open to possibilities. To live in the state of possibility means being open to the concept that everything is working out for your good. It also means you are willing to expect to receive the many good things which are coming your way. Life is flowing and will carry you along. You can relax and let go and trust. You can practice mindfulness, mindful living, and true self-acceptance as often as possible.
The good news in life transition, as difficult as it may seem, is that we are designed to change. We are designed to feel challenged and lost and find our way again. We are resourceful and creative and Life is on our side.
Don’t wait for the right opportunity. Create it.
Book in for a free 20-minute career strategy session with one of our consultants, so you can start taking action today!